The 30th anniversary of Camp “I Am Me” is less than two weeks away. For the first time in three decades, Illinois’ burn camp for young burn survivors did not take place in person last year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. As the world is slowly getting back to normal and restrictions in the state of Illinois continue to loosen, Illinois Fire Safety Alliance staff and volunteers are thrilled to be heading back to camp and provide the best week of the year for nearly 60 expected campers.
It was not until early-April that overnight camps were allowed to proceed, so the planning and preparation for June 20-26 has been vigorous. Because of the evolution of the virus and the restrictions, camp policies, procedures, activities, and camp management have had to be altered (several times) in order to make this year’s Camp “I Am Me” happen. Though camp will not look exactly like it has in the past, everyone is more than excited to be able to get back together and support our youth burn survivors.
Whether you are a camper, parent, week-long volunteer, day-long volunteer, vendor, or supporter, please see the following updates on this year’s Camp “I Am Me” so there is no confusion. If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this year’s camp, please contact the IFSA office at (847) 390-0911.
- Camp updates, transportation information, and policies have been emailed to all campers/parents of campers who have submitted a Camper Application Form. If you have an eligible camper and would still like them to participate in Camp “I Am Me” this year, contact the IFSA office immediately.
- Camp updates and policies have been emailed to all cabin, health center, and logistics volunteers who have submitted a Volunteer Application Form. If you did not receive this information, contact the IFSA office immediately.
- Volunteers who have historically supported Camp “I Am Me” by assisting in Check-In Day, Check-Out Day, Sports-o-Rama, Fun Fair (No Fun Fair in 2021), and other volunteer-based activities will not be permitted on the campgrounds this year due to COVID-related policies and procedures.
- Supporters who have historically joined us at Camp “I Am Me” during the Appreciation Day celebrations will not be permitted on the campgrounds this year due to COVID-related policies and procedures (No Appreciation Day in 2021).
- The Fire Apparatus Parade will be taking place at camp on Wednesday, June 23rd. This activity is open and available to fire service personnel only! Get complete details on Parade participation and updated policies and procedures for the activity.
- For updates and photographs of this year’s Camp “I Am Me,” please visit the IFSA website or IFSA Facebook page to see the daily blog.
- Questions, comments, or concerns regarding this year’s Camp can be made by calling the IFSA office at (847) 390-0911 or emailing the IFSA staff.