Grilling, campfires, and outdoor fires bring families and friends together – and by taking some precautionary steps, fire-related incidents and injuries can be avoided.
How to use this toolkit
The toolkit contains content that you can share on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media channels to increase awareness about grilling, campfires, and outdoor fires. You can copy this content or customize it to reach your audience.
Click on the image you would like to share – “save as” – utilize on social media platforms, website, printed material, or anywhere else you would like.
- Keep at least 25 feet away from any structure and anything that can burn
- Clear away dry leaves and sticks, overhanging low branches and shrubs
- Avoid burning on windy, dry days
- Never let children or pets play or stand too close to the fire
- Attend to the campfire at all times as lef along for only a few minutes can grow into a damaging fire
- Never use gasoline or other flammable or combustible liquids
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors
- Grills should be placed well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area
- Keep grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in the trays below the grill
- Never leave the grill unattended
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it
- Check with your local fire department or municipality for any restrictions before starting an open-air fire – Obtain proper permits, if required
- When allowed, open fires such as bonfires, yard waste fires, or trash fires need to be at least 50 feet from anything that can burn
- Where outdoor burning is allowed, never burn plastics, construction debris, treated lumber, tires, pesticides, paint, or aerosol containers
- Have a hose, bucket of water, or shovel with dirt or sand nearby to extinguish the fire
- Avoid burning on windy, dry days as embers from open burning can ignite nearby structures or cause a wildfire