Candles may be nice to look at, but they are a cause of home fires and home fire deaths. A candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn. More than one-third of home candle fires start in the bedroom and three of every five candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.

How to use this toolkit

The toolkit contains content that you can share on Facebook, “X”, Instagram, and other social media channels to increase awareness about candle safety. You can copy this content or customize it to reach your audience.

Click on the image you would like to share – “save as” – utilize on social media platforms, website, printed material, or anywhere else you would like. 

Additional Tips

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 1 foot away from anything that can burn.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.