When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes and offices. Portable space heaters have become a popular and simple way to help central heating or heat in one room, but this type of heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths!
How to use this toolkit
The toolkit contains content that you can share on Facebook, “X”, Instagram, and other social media channels to increase awareness about space heater safety. You can copy this content or customize it to reach your audience.
Click on the image you would like to share – “save as” – utilize on social media platforms, website, printed material, or anywhere else you would like.
- Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the heater at least 3 foot away from anything that can burn, including people. Consider a “kid-free zone” around heaters.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface so it cannot easily tip over.
- Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
- Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet – never use an extension cord.
- Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Two in five deaths in space heater fires involve portable electric space heaters.